For 8 years of working as a wedding photographer, I realized that poor album layout can completely kill a great shooting. And I can’t see gorgeous photos in a photobook with misarable frames, decorative elements and pigeons. Therefore, I suggest you download free photo album templates and use them as you wish.
If you link to my article or share it with friends, it will inspire me to write even more useful posts. I spent 3 days on creating these templates for you, so any kind of gratitude will really warm my soul :)
- Basic rules on creating a photo album.
- How to use my templates.
- Template format description.
- Free photo album templates.
- A leather photo book example.
Basic rules of a photoalbum creation.
- Do not overload the turn. If you stick a lot of photos, the viewer's attention will be distracted. Exception is: details, similar reportage moments, pictures of one action from the same point.
- There is only one main photo on the turn! Can be one additional, or no at all. And than you can add some minor ones if needed.
- Diversity is our everything. If you have two portraits of one person in a turn, then it is better to combine one facial and one full height image.
- Less color - less problems. Try to limit the color scheme not only in the spread, but throughout the whole book. Tinting ideally helps to smooth out all the color differences.
- Do not be afraid of empty space. Don't aim to fill the entire spread with photos. Two shots are usually enough.
- Don't forget to leave space for cutting. Each lab has its own rules, in average it is up to 0,5 inches from the edge.
- Do not place important elements like faces, text, people on the fold and edges.
- One deserving photo per turn is also very beautiful. Do not be afraid of it. True style is not in the quantity.
- I implore you! Do not make frames or under layers, in unskillful hands it looks pathetic.
- Emphasis should be on photography. It's the point! Therefore, there is NO active background and strong decorative elements.
- Keep track of the chronology of events. Not a real timeline, but the one in your book. If the bride had one dress for the ceremony and one for the reception, it looks very strange when on the fifth page she is already in the second dress, and on the seventh - again in the first.
- Don't mix black-and-white photos and colors on the same turn.
- Well, the last. It's better to give less. Instead of creating the same boring pages, make fewer turns, but unique ones.
How you should use my photo album templates.
- Download your favorite template. All files are presented in the *.psd format. To open this type of files you need the Adobe Photoshop
- Open downloaded file. Drag the photo you want to put on a spread.
- In the layers tab, drag the photo to the desired group. This layer will be filled with white on the mask.
- In the layers window, select the photo and right-click option Create Clipping Mask. If needed, resize the photo and move it so that it occupies the entire area of the mask.
- Repeat the actions for other photos. Save the file for printing.
All templates were created for a 30x30cm (12×12 inches) photo book. I think this format is the most universal and convenient.
The trim line was not considered, since each lab has its own requirements. You need to resize the canvas using the command Image-> Canvas Size by yourself.
If you need templates for other formats, let me know in the comments. If there is a big demand, I will make and upload the templates for the most required format.
In all examples, black photographs are horizontal, gray photographs are vertical. But this is not a dogma. If the resolution of your images is big enough, you can put vertical ones instead of horizontal ones.
An example of a wedding photo book in a leather cover.
Most photo-books, to my great regret, do not fall into my hands and fly away to different corners of the planet directly to my customers. But here is one of the exclusions, when I could enjoy the pleasant texture of silk paper and softness of the leather binding.